Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Psalm 119:57-64 Heth

You are my portion, Lord; I have promised to obey your words.
I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.
At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees.

Psalm 119:57-64

Psalm 119 is not the only place where David says God is his portion.
I cry to you, O Lord; I say, ‘You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living.'

Psalm 142:5
Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Psalm 73:25-26

What does David mean when he says God is my portion?

Allow me to quote myself, from an article I wrote about that question in The Lookout magazine in November of 2010
God is my portion. The scriptures tell us this over and over.

Unfortunately we read “God is my portion” and it sticks in our minds as “God will give me my portion.” As though God were an eternal Santa Claus with a large bag of blessings. He welcomes us onto his lap at a church that meets in an abandoned discount store and he listens to our long list of what we want from him. And he bursts out with a mild “Ho Ho Ho” (not too powerful, so as not to terrify his timid children) and he promises we’ll get all that and more.

The one true God does indeed promise blessings for being his and for sharing him with others. . . .

But the good news of the gospel is that we who are lost can be reconciled with God Himself. The best promise He gives, the blessing that surpasses all else, is Himself.

He is our portion.
Whatever blessings may come my way, whatever rocky roads I have to travel, whatever troubles and trials I face, God is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment