Thursday, January 11, 2018

Psalm 119:49-56 Zayin

Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.
My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law.
I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them.
Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.
Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.
In the night, Lord, I remember your name, that I may keep your law.
This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.


Psalm 119:49-56


The Hebrew letter zayin is also the Hebrew word for sword. The letter even resembles a sword. Perhaps David had this in mind when he chose his topic for this stanza.

How does a person after God's own heart respond to wicked people who make a mockery of God's law and cause troubles and suffering for God's people? Is the sword the godly way to respond? To fight back? To jump aggressively into the fray of a culture war?

Or should we instead focus on our other sword, the sword of God that is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

This Psalm 119 stanza reminds me of David's Psalm 37, where he counsels us to not fret, not to get all worked up about the wickedness of other people, but to respond with trust, dwelling in the Shepherd's pasture, doing good, delighting in the Lord, committing to the Lord's way, being still and waiting on the Lord.

No matter how disturbing the world's culture may be, don't let yourself be sucked into responding to it the way the world would.

Three of these verses (49, 52, 55) begin with the Hebrew word for remember. Remember God's way, no matter how dire the circumstances seem.

Remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment