Monday, September 2, 2019

Psalm 119:129-136 Pe

During Q&A night in the prison chapel, a frequent question would be about faith and feelings.
"When I first become a Christian, I felt God's presence constantly. I'd wake up knowing He was there with me. I'd feel his love and his presence all through the day and sleep well at night feeling him with me.

"But for the past few weeks, that feeling has gone away. I don't feel his presence or his love like I did before. Has he left me? Have I done something to make him leave me?"
Usually there would be someone else up front with me to help answer the questions, usually my wife. Sometimes, though, my friend Steve and I tag-teamed the Q&A. If we were there when this question came up, the questioner would get two different answers.

Steve, a worship leader, is very attuned to the importance of an emotional connection with God. He would sympathize with the questioner and offer advice about how to get the feeling back.

And then he'd look at me and say, "And now Tim's going to tell you something completely different." He knew it was actually completely different, but he knew they would think so. We both knew the value of offering more than one perspective on many of their questions.

My answer would begin with, "Faith is not about feelings." And when Steve would look at me like he was about to argue, I'd say, "Faith is not primarily (Steve would frown a little) or only about feelings."

My point, which I'd go on to explain, was that you know God is with you because He says He's with you. If you don't feel His presence, pick up your Bible and read some passages where God promises His presence - mostly in the Psalms. Or read Jesus' Upper Room conversation and prayer in John 13-17. Some believers go through dry seasons that last for years when they don't feel the presence of God.They stay strong and motivated during those times by wallowing in the Word, fervently praying, and actively doing the things you know God wants you to be doing, even in His absence.

Feeling the presence of God is fantastic, but the best spiritual emotions come as a result of practicing the disciplines and doing the work God has called you to do.

In this section of Psalm 119, David expresses the emotional aspects of his faith, grounded in the Word and in obedience.
129 Your statutes are wonderful;
therefore I obey them.
130 The unfolding of your words gives light;
it gives understanding to the simple.
131 I open my mouth and pant,
longing for your commands.
132 Turn to me and have mercy on me,
as you always do to those who love your name.
133 Direct my footsteps according to your word;
let no sin rule over me.
134 Redeem me from human oppression,
that I may obey your precepts.
135 Make your face shine on your servant
and teach me your decrees.
136 Streams of tears flow from my eyes,
for your law is not obeyed.

Psalm 119:129-136

No comments:

Post a Comment