Monday, August 19, 2019

Psalm 119:126 Not My Job

It is time for you to act, Lord;
your law is being broken.

Psalm 119:126

The book of Psalms is a textbook for prayer, in the form of David's trip diary of his conversations with God along the 1 road of life.

Sometimes David sounds like a child who is petulantly remind a parent of what they said they'd do.
You promised! You said you'd do this for me!
Is it OK to scold God?

Well, no. Of course not. He wants me to be open and honest with him. Express my frustrations. But need to always remember who I'm talking to.

The real lesson here is not that David is mouthing off to God. Far from it.

David is actually submitting wholly to God, acknowledging there are some things that are God's responsibility, not David's.

If I see someone breaking a law of God's, how should I react? Should I excoriate them, giving them a tongue lashing that puts them in the place and cuts them down to size? Should I put every other priority to the side and make it my mission to pass laws that criminalize their actions and strip them of freedoms because they've sinned?

If that's how I'm going to respond, I need to make sure I take the same approach to every person who brings a law of God. I should be vilifying every person who sins. I should be taking steps to criminalize lying and laziness and disobedience to parents.

Or not.

Perhaps instead I need to humbly turn as a servant to the God whose righteousness is the very foundation of those laws. I need to turn it over to God as Judge to judge and deal with law-breakers. And if He wants to use me as part of whatever action He chooses to take, He'll let me know.

My job is to be a servant, not to take things into my own hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment