Monday, July 15, 2019

Psalm 119:121 Opressors and Offenders

I have done what is righteous and just;
do not leave me to my oppressors.

Psalm 119:121
The 21st century American version of this verse would go something like this:
I am right. I just am. Do not leave me to those who offend me.
It's our obsession with being right,as opposed to doing what is righteous, that makes us so easily offended.

If I'm actively spouting off my opinions about the topics I'm convinced everyone else is wrong about, I can naturally expect others to take offense at my arrogance and respond with words that offend my sense of self-importance.

But if I'm actively doing the things that reflect the righteous character and purposes of God, I can naturally expect people will try to oppress me: silence me, interfere with what I'm trying to accomplish, undermine me.

I expect God would be pleased if we model our prayers after David's, asking God to not leave us at the mercy of our oppressors. I also suspect God would be less pleased if we pray for protection from the people who offend our sensibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment