Monday, July 8, 2019

Psalm 119:121-128 Ayin

I have done what is righteous and just;
do not leave me to my oppressors.
Ensure your servant’s well-being; 
do not let the arrogant oppress me. 
My eyes fail, looking for your salvation, 
looking for your righteous promise. 
Deal with your servant according to your love
and teach me your decrees. 
I am your servant; give me discernment
that I may understand your statutes. 
It is time for you to act, Lord; 
your law is being broken.
Because I love your commands more than gold, 
more than pure gold, 
and because I consider all your precepts right, 
I hate every wrong path.

Psalm 119:121-128
Much of American Christianity has gotten off track in the 21st century. Many have given themselves over to the post-modern concept that truth is fluid, dependent entirely on the perception of the individual. Others have retreated into centuries-old legalism and judgmentalism.

Both of those extremes have their roots in self-centered attitudes. It's all about me and what I think is true or right.

We've lost our grip on two important attitudes David talks about in Ayin: A servant's heart and a righteous heart.

Without a servant's heart we fall into the habit of telling other people what to do, because we're confident we know best and should be in charge. If we nurture a servant's heart, we interact with others based on what we understand God's priorities are, confident that he alone knows best and he alone is able to make each person stand before him (Romans 14:4).

Without a heart of righteousness, we fall naturally into self-righteousness and mere rightness. The self-righteous person tells himself he is the arbiter of what is righteous. That self-centered definition of righteousness usually boils down to "I'm right and you're wrong". It becomes more important to defend what we think is right than to pursue the righteousness of God.

Righteousness and servanthood are a matched set, both focused on submission to God's character and God's mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment