Monday, January 1, 2018

Psalm 119:41-42 ...and Go Boldly Into the New Year

So, May your unfailing love come to me, Lord, your salvation, according to your promise; and then I can answer anyone who taunts me, for I trust in your word.

Psalm 119:41-42
Who taunts you?

I'll tell you who taunts me.

My own memories taunt me: the people who have been a part of my sixty years of life; the ones I've disappointed or failed, taken for granted, or taken advantage of; the people who needed more than I could give; the ones for whom I was just not up to the challenge of being the person they needed.

My foibles and sins and habits and compulsions taunt me. The ones that anyone who knows me well at all could list easily, but also the ones known only to me - and to God.

What taunts me are the things I've not done that I ought to have, the person I thought I would be but never quite had the courage to become.

I've learned to stop letting those taunts control me and to stop spending so much effort trying to ignore them. It's much better to go face to face with the taunts and answer them through the resources the Lord has given me.

I have His unfailing love to count on. And his salvation, brought about by his loving act of sacrifice. I can answer those taunts that haunt me because his Word constantly reminds me about his love, his salvation, and his promises.

Still trying to come up with a New Year's Resolution? Try this one: To go forth boldly each day, relying on God's love, his salvation, his promises, and his Word

Resolve to not live a life worried you're going to mess up. You most definitely are going to mess up. But hiding in your own little religious bubble isn't what God intends for you. He wants you to live life boldly, trusting that anything anyone accuses you of is less important than his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment