Friday, December 29, 2017

Psalm 119:41-48 Waw or Vav

May your unfailing love come to me, Lord, your salvation, according to your promise; then I can answer anyone who taunts me, for I trust in your word. Never take your word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws. I will always obey your law, for ever and ever. I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts. I will speak of your statutes before kings and will not be put to shame, for I delight in your commands because I love them. I reach out for your commands, which I love, that I may meditate on your decrees.

Psalm 119:41-48
Waw (or Vav) is a unique letter in the Hebrew alphabet, unlike anything in English. When used at the beginning of a word or sentence, it's the conjunction junction: and...so then ...also...but...

When David wrote an entire stanza starting with waw, he had little choice but to tie the eight verses together in a single, continuous train of thought.

Perhaps this octave should be read as one thing leading toward another, building on what has already been said.

41-42 So, May your unfailing love come to me, Lord, your salvation, according to your promise; and then I can answer anyone who taunts me, for I trust in your word.

43-46 And Never take your word of truth from my mouth, for I have put my hope in your laws. and I will always obey your law, for ever and ever. and so I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts. And then I will speak of your statutes before kings and will not be put to shame,

47-48 and I delight in your commands because I love them. So I reach out for your commands, which I love, that I may meditate on your decrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment