Thursday, November 30, 2017

Psalm 119:33 Through to the End

Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees,
that I may follow it to the end.


Psalm 119:33
I know the way from Columbia, Missouri, to Vandalia, Missouri. I don't need the GPS lady to tell me
Turn right on Interstate 70
Drive 24 miles
At Exit 148 Merge right on exit ramp
Turn Left on US Highway 54
Drive 45 miles 
I've driven that route - and back - nearly every Monday evening for the past 15 years, from my hometown of Columbia to the women's prison in Vandalia.

I could probably drive it with my eyes closed. That's actually not a good idea, although there are some late Monday nights on the return trip that I'm very grateful my tired mind knows the way without having to think about it much.

Beyond just knowing the directions, I understand why the route from Columbia to Vandalia follows its indirect path.

Because I've lived in this part of Missouri for over 50 years, I know that Highway 54 used to go through the tiny town of Auxvasse, with its speed limit and stop signs, rather than bypassing it to the east. I  know the highway also used to wind its way through Mexico, past two stop signs, two stoplights, over a railroad crossing (unless you were unfortunate to have to wait for the train to make its town-slow passage through Mexico) , and past several fast food places and other businesses that have disappeared since 54 was rerouted to bypass most of the town.

I know I can fudge the speed limit a bit on the way through Laddonia, but I have to be very careful not to take liberties on the way through Farber. I know the speed limit used to be flexible in Mexico, but that there's a county mountie who now likes to sit at the one spot most likely to tempt drivers to ignore the speed limit.

I know where the sharp curves are and where the long straight shots are. I know that the railroad crossing in Laddonia is a hump to be respected, but it's nothing compared to the undercarriage-killer at Rush Hill.

I pay attention to all these things because my goal is not to just take joy ride every Monday evening. No, I have both a purpose to achieve and a schedule to meet when I drive that route. No matter what time I finally load everyone into the van in Columbia, I need to arrive at the Vandalia prison no later than 6:30. Preferably a bit sooner. We have the chapel dedicated to the Lord's purposes from 6:30 to 8:30, and arriving late just won't do.


You can read the Bible in a willy-nilly manner, just grabbing a few verses here and a few others over there. You can read quickly with no purpose other than to make yourself feel good about havign read your verses for the day and mark them off your chart.

Or you can read the Bible to understand its ways, settling in for the long haul, to reach the goal of knowing the heart of God and learning how to walk with Him all the way to the end of the 1 road.

One way to make sure you do this is to pray before you read the Bible. Every time. Talk to the God who wrote what you're about to read.
Lord, teach me to understand the ways, the whys, the flow of your decrees. Help me to not pick and choose favorite phrases or verses, but to pursue the thread of what you're saying all the way through to its end. Grant me the diligence I lack. Settle my mind, away from the rush and hurry of daily life, so it can take a leisurely walk through your Word


No comments:

Post a Comment