Monday, November 27, 2017

Psalm 119:33-40 He

I have a list of 100 Ways to Meditate on the Word that I use every two or three years in the prison ministry, to give the ladies some practical and creative ideas for their Bible reading and study.

It includes some extremely practical things, like...
  • Look for Key Words and Phrases in the Word. Most Old Testament books of prophecy (Isaiah through Malachi) and most New Testament epistles (Romans through 3rd John) are written with one or more key words or phrases repeated. By discovering those key words, you will better understand what the entire book is about. For example, a key word in Philippians is “joy” and a key phrase in Philippians is “in Christ/through Christ/for Christ” 

  • Look for Connecting Words in the Word. therefore, but, and, because, if – these can be key to understanding the meaning 

  • Look for Cause and Effect in the Word. Understand how decisions and actions have consequences

  • KISS the Word. “Keep it simple, Stupid” is a good thing to remember in Bible Study. Don’t try to find complicated, obscure meanings for simple, straightforward scriptures
It also includes some creative and startling ideas, like...
  • Sketch, Draw, Paint, Sculpt the Word. Artistically express what you read

  • Wrestle With the Word. When you read something in the Bible you don’t agree with, or would rather not go along with, talk to God honestly about it. Wrestle with the text, wrestle with your own stubbornness and opinions, and wrestle with God’s authority. Refuse to let go until the Word blesses you.

  • Butcher the Word Like a Buffalo. The Native Americans made use of every part of the buffalo carcass, even “useless” parts. Take care not to discard the “useless” parts of the Word
But over and over again, scattered throughout the list, I keep coming back to one of the most important keys to meditating on the Word:
  • Pray Before Reading the Bible. The Bible is the one book you can read while talking to the Author

  • Study Hard, Think Deeply & Pray Long to Align Your Heart with God’s Heart. Seek to become a person who loves, hates, prioritizes, and spends time the way Jesus and God do

  • Pray the Word. Pray about the verses you are reading as you read them. For example, try praying Psalm 23 – Lord, thank you for caring for me like a shepherd cares for a sheep. Help me to rely on you like a sheep does, and help me to not be as stubborn as a sheep. Father, I want to rely on you for all my wants and needs, and not get stressed out by worry. . . 

  • Feed on the Word Until You’re Full. It’s good to sometimes read and read and read (and pray and pray and pray) for a long period of time, like a 12-course gourmet meal.

  • Pray After Reading the Word.
The Psalms is a textbook for how to pray.  In this section of Psalm 119, David teaches us to pray about God's Word.
33 Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees,
that I may follow it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, so that I may keep your law
and obey it with all my heart.
35 Direct me in the path of your commands,
for there I find delight.
36 Turn my heart toward your statutes
and not toward selfish gain.
37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
preserve my life according to your word.
38 Fulfill your promise to your servant,
so that you may be feared.
39 Take away the disgrace I dread,
for your laws are good.
40 How I long for your precepts!
In your righteousness preserve my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment