Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Psalm 119:24 Who Are Your Counselors?


My day job involves a lot of customer service. I receive dozens of e-mails every day, asking me to fix this or answer that or help with something else.

I also get these kind of questions every day:
"Can you change the name of who is required for approval of my requisitions?"
No, you need to contact Accounting for that.
"I need to buy something from a new vendor. Can you build that vendor in the system?"
No, you need to contact the Finance Support Center for that.
"I need to know when I'm going to get my weekly warehouse order. "
You need to contact the Warehouse for that.
"Can you tell me who I should order these Wangenstein devices from?"
No, you need to call your buyer in Purchasing for that.
"What's the lunch special today?"
I'm sorry but this isn't Ernie's Diner.

I actually did used to get that last call somewhat frequently. The diner's phone number was very similar to my office number. One time I rattled off a detailed description of a sumptuous diner-style meal and then said, "and it's only $4!"
"I'll be right over!"
I'm guessing they were disappointed when they arrived for lunch.

Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.

Psalm 119:24
When you need help with life, who do you go to for counsel?

A self-help book? Facebook? Your co-workers? Or maybe it's your preacher. Or some other wise Christian. That's certainly a better choice.

But there's a better choice yet: The statutes of the Lord.

Many people don't choose the Bible as their first source of counsel because they aren't using the scriptures properly.

They'd go to the Bible more often, perhaps, if it were organized more topically.
Problems with your kids? 
There's a chapter for that!
Need to know how to effectively share the gospel at work? 
There's  chapter for that!
Trying to quit smoking? 
There's a chapter for that, too!

No, it doesn't work that way, does it?

For the Word of God to really be an effective counselor, you've got to delight in it, as David says. That means you're eager for the time you get to spend each day reading the Word. Instead of looking forward to your favorite TV show or whatever else you're currently delighting in, how about delighting in the Word?

It takes practice. Your TV watching habits or other habits were developed over years. It will take time and diligent practice for the Word to be what you automatically turn to in your free time.

The rewards will be fantastic. The scriptures still won't be organized by topic, but the more you delight in them, the answers will be written on your heart, accessible when you need them.

Try it out. You'll discover that treating yourself to the Word as often as possible is a true delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment