Friday, October 27, 2017

Psalm 119:25-32 Daleth

In the majority of Psalm 119's acrostic octets, David chooses from among a wide variety of words beginning with the chosen letter of the Hebrew alphabet. The unifying letter is just a poetic feature and doesn't greatly drive the topic at hand .

But occasionally, the chosen letter plays a role in dictating the chosen topic.  Bear with me as I take a little journey through the details of how David constructed Daleth, the fourth octet of Psalm 119.

In Daleth, David begins 5 of the 8 verses with the very same word, derek. 

According to my concordance, derek is translated as "way" 590 times, "toward" 31, and "journey" 23 (plus 53 other miscellaneous translations).

It's used in the 40th chapter of Ezekiel a dozen times, always translated as "toward", repeatedly using it to describe the layout of temple. "There was a gate to the inner court toward the south: and he measured from gate to gate toward the south a hundred cubits." (v. 27)

It's used 45 times in the book of Psalms.

In Psalm 119:25-32, David references the way or the direction of himself (v. 26), the way of God's precepts (v. 27), his own way of falsehood or deceit (v. 29), his own way of faithfulness (v. 30), and the direction of God's commands (v. 32).

Two of the remaining verses begin with a description of what his soul is doing. His soul clings to the dust (v. 25) and is weary (v.28). In the remaining verse of the eight he asks the Lord that he not be put to shame (v. 31)

It's not too difficult then, to get the drift of what David is talking about in Daleth. He's taking measurements, comparing his own ways to God's way. David's soul is coming out on the short end of the deal.

Isn't that how life often goes? Our choices of how we live our daily lives can come down to a simple matter of choosing the right direction, leading to good results, or choosing the wrong way, which generally doesn't end well for us.

It's no different than if you're trying to tighten or loosen a screw and you expend your time and energy and elbow grease into rotating the screwdriver in the wrong direction, you'll not only fail in your task, you're liable to strip out the head of the screw.

It's important to pause in your life occasionally and check to make sure you're putting your effort toward the right things in the right direction. As David discovered, you might feel better for it, deep down in your soul.
I am laid low in the dust;
   preserve my life according to your word.
I gave an account of my ways and you answered me;
   teach me your decrees.
Cause me to understand the way of your precepts,
   that I may meditate on your wonderful deeds.
My soul is weary with sorrow;
   strengthen me according to your word.
Keep me from deceitful ways;
   be gracious to me and teach me your law.
I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
   I have set my heart on your laws.
I hold fast to your statutes, Lord;
   do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the path of your commands,
   for you have broadened my understanding.

Psalm 119:25-32

No comments:

Post a Comment