Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Ridesharing: How Did He Know?

Ridesharing: Wisdom in the Streets

There's one phrase rideshare drivers hate to hear from their passengers.

Actually there are two. The other one is "I'll tip you on the app," usually spoken as the passenger is exiting the car at their destination. Rideshare drivers will almost always respond by saying to themselves: "No you won't." Because the vast majority of the time they won't. The ones who do tip generally don't feel the need to tell you they're going to.

That other phrase, though, is also almost always untrue. 

"I'll be right out."

It's usually texted to the driver at the 3:00 minute mark of waiting for the passenger. This happens because around that time the rideshare app will automatically send a text to the passenger reminding them that soon they will begin to be charged extra for the wait time.

And so they react to this warning by texting the driver, "I'll be right out", in the futile hope that by doing so the automated algorithm that guides the app will believe their lie and decide to take pit and not charge them.

I recently pulled up to an apartment complex  and began the wait for my passenger. At the 3:00 mark he texted, "Be right out" and I told the app, "No he won't". Rideshare drivers often talk to their app.

This passenger went a step further and texted me an explanation: "I can't find me keys."

My initial reaction was to wonder why this statement was relevant to my life. But then inspiration hit me and I texted him back.

"They’re in your pocket from last night."

About 20 seconds later the passenger texted back, "LOL. On my way." And out he came from the building and into my car.

"How did you know that?" was the first thing out of his mouth. "How did you  know the keys were in my pocket?"

My answer: "I'm a parent. You’re like my son was at that age."

This ridesharing experience reminded me of another story.
When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. And while they were eating, he said, “Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me.” They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely you don’t mean me, Lord?” (‭‭Matthew‬ ‭26‬:‭20‬-‭22‬)
Jesus and the disciples are at the last supper in the upper room. During the meal, Jesus makes this astonishing prediction. Someone is going to betray him.

The disciples respond with sadness and a guilty question: Is it me? Surely you don't mean me?

Not just Judas. Not just Peter. ALL of them began to say one after the other, Is it me? 

Each one reacts to Jesus' prediction with the instant though, "How does he know?"

He knows because he knew their hearts. And he knows your heart and my heart. 

He knows your heart. He knows that one thing that distracts you most from him.  That one thing that most tempts you to betray him or deny him. 

Who is it? 
Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me.” ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭26‬:‭23 
We usually interpret that statement to refer to a specific person whose hand is actually dipping bread alongside Jesus, hand. But the phrase essentially means “the one who shares this supper with me” 

During the Passover meal, there was a common load of unleavened bread that each person tore a piece from. And there was a common bowl they all dipped their bread into. 

Many have often wondered why the rest of the disciples didn't see Judas dip his bread alongside Jesus and then overhear the pointed conversation. the two of them had. 

Could it be they were all so self-absorbed with the knowledge of their own guilt that they weren't paying attention to anyone else?

I often have to consciously get my focus out of my own swirl of thoughts when I'm picking up rideshare passengers. I remind myself it's more than a job. It's an opportunity to share a few moments with a stranger, to be salt and light in their world, to encourage them or even challenge them as the opportunity arises. 

I remind myself that I'm ridesharing, with the focus on the sharing.

And that's true for all of us, whatever the job or circumstance. Stop dwelling on yourself and pay attention to the people around you. Be there for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment