Monday, December 21, 2020

Psalm 37:7 Don't focus on schemes

 

Do not fret when people succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes


Psalm 37:7
Our word schemes is a translation of the Hebrew mezzimah, which describes a person's thought processes and the resulting ideas and plans. Almost always it's used in reference to warped or misguided thinking that leads to wicked or evil actions.

Paul uses a similar term in a similar way in 2 Corinthians 2:10-11
Anyone you forgive, I also forgive. And what I have forgiven—if there was anything to forgive—I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes.
The Greek word translated as schemes is noēmata. It also refers to the end result of a thought process. It's a favorite word of Paul's in II Corinthians, used in both positive (10:5) and negative (3:14; 4:4; 11:3) ways.

It's not at all hard to understand the concept of a person's messed up way of thinking about things when you see it at work in someone else, as David is doing in Psalm 37.

I experience this almost every day when I scan my social media timelines and see the wildest ideas and most unbelievable theories and so-called "facts" posted or shared - and this by both strangers and some of my friends.

I will admit this to be the one thing that frustrates me most and makes me want to fret and burn with anger. And yes, I sometimes struggle with envy at the attention these ill-conceived notions receive, and the popularity of such ridiculous viewpoints.

I'm not talking about opinions I just happen to disagree with. One of my chief principles is to not assume I'm always right, and to respect the differing opinions of others. 

It's the gullibility and twisted up thought processes that lead to the most extreme ideas and inflammatory comments by my fellow believers that bother me most. They lack any evidence of critical thinking, and generally lack kindness, peacemaking, and any sense of Christ's mission.

As a friend recently said, I don't like the idea that I share a belief system with such people. They claim to have come to a reasoned belief in God and in Christ Jesus, all the while coming across like they believe even more strongly in conspiracy theories and twisted versions of reality. 

As I said, this is the part of Psalm 37 I personally struggle with most. So what am I to do? What are any of us to do if we want to win the war against such schemes?

First, follow David's advice: Don't fret. As we're learning in Psalm 37, the best way to not burn with anger at such things is to use that angry energy in more positive ways.  Trust in the Lord, do good for the Lord, dwell in the land, delight in the Lord, and so on.

Second, follow Paul's advice in II Corinthians 2, and be aware that Satan, the Father of Lies, is the true purveyor of fake news and every misdirected thought process. Our battle is not against flesh and blood, not against memes and Russian bots and trolls, but against the real ruler of this present darkness. Which only serves to demonstrate the importance,a gain, of following David's advice.

Third, follow Paul's advice in II Corinthians 10:4-5, where he uses that same term again:
The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
We need to learn to rightly order our thoughts as people who claim to follow Christ. Take captive and cast aside any thought process that begins with any sort of political philosophy, financial gain, or personal agendas. Take captive and embrace thought processes ground in Christi's mission for us, which is to draw all people toward him.

Practice putting your mind to use as a tool for sharing the gospel, rather than sharing your theories.

No comments:

Post a Comment