Monday, November 18, 2019

Psalm 119:138 Trustworthy

The statutes you have laid down are righteous;
 they are fully trustworthy. 

Psalm 119:138

Do you trust them all?

Which ones don't you fully trust?

I know, I know. That sounds like a heretical question.

But there are a number of kinds of Bible verses we tend to try to explain away, ignore, or outright scoff at.

The That's Just an Ideal; God Doesn't Really Expect Us to Do That verses:
But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: “Be holy, because I am holy.

I Peter 1:15-16
Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because whoever suffers in the body is done with sin.

I Peter 4:1
That's pretty extreme! Do you really trust that you can be holy like God is holy? Or that if you suffer like Christ, your body will be "done with sin"?

I can hear you explaining it away already.


Then there's the Wouldn't it Be Nice If Life Really Worked That Way statutes.
Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.

Proverbs 22:6
I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.

Matthew 19:8
Surely there are exceptions to those rules! Surely!


And my favorite, the Sure, That's a Good Thought, But I'm Going to Take This Into My Own Hands kind of verses.
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Romans 13:1-2

So.. what's your least trusted statute?

No comments:

Post a Comment