Monday, October 28, 2019

Psalm 119:136 Both Ways


Streams of tears flow from my eyes,
for your law is not obeyed.


Psalm 119:136
Have you ever read the daily news and wondered where God is in the midst of all the horrible things that go on?

You're not alone.  David wasn't alone either.

Habakkuk is really bent out of shape as he begins the book that bears his name.
How long, Lord, must I call for help,
  but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, “Violence!”
  but you do not save?
Why do you make me look at injustice?
  Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?
Destruction and violence are before me;
  there is strife, and conflict abounds.
Therefore the law is paralyzed,
  and justice never prevails.
The wicked hem in the righteous,
  so that justice is perverted.


Habakkuk 1:2-4
The Lord responds with a promise that the sins of the nation will not go unpunished. But then, when God sends a more violent nation to punish God's chosen people, Habakkuk again complains that God seems to not be doing what he should.
Lord, are you not from everlasting?
  My God, my Holy One, you will never die.
You, Lord, have appointed them to execute judgment;
  you, my Rock, have ordained them to punish.
Your eyes are too pure to look on evil;
  you cannot tolerate wrongdoing.
Why then do you tolerate the treacherous?
  Why are you silent while the wicked
    swallow up those more righteous than themselves?


Habakkuk 1:12-13
That's the problem with relying on your feelings as the barometer of whether God is living up to his part of your relationship. It tends to end up in a one-sided, selfish whine session.

God, why don't you pay attention to me?  I need constant reassurance that my needs and desires are the most important thing!

But God, why do you always have to be looking over my shoulder?  Why is it that any time I step out of line and decide to walk on the wild side, you discipline me by letting things go sideways?

Abide in God's Word and abide in him, not in your own self-centered agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment