Monday, March 4, 2019

Psalm 119:104 Love of the Roads


Every rideshare passenger who lives in the Forest Village housing complex in Columbia quickly learns to tell each new driver that they don't actually live at Murry's restaurant. They're grateful when a driver is experienced enough to have learned not to trust the rideshare app GPS for directions to that neighborhood.

There are several parts of my city that the GPS gets wrong. I've had to learn to not be fooled when the app tells me to turn south on Old Highway 63, when it's actually Highway 63. There's a difference, one that will take an unwitting driver (and the unfortunate passengers) to the wrong place.

I was annoyed one evening after dark when the app gave me directions to an address on Ridge Road. Only after pulling up into the driveway of a darkened house with my bright lights on did I realize I wasn't actually on Ridge Road at all, but the next street over. the passengers were used to people getting lost in that neighborhood, but I was frustrated at how long they had to wait in the cold and dark.

The more I drive for ridesharing, the better I am getting at learning how to find my way even when the app gives me bad advice. Fool me once, it's the app's fault. Fool me twice, and I'm not paying enough attention as I meditate on my journeys through Columbia's streets.
I gain understanding from your precepts;
therefore I hate every wrong path


Psalm 119:104
The Bible gives me the destination plus many precepts on how to get there, as well as stories about how others have navigated the 1 road of life.

I've come to realize the Bible is not God's GPS. The GPS is far too unreliable to be compared to the scriptures.

Spiritually speaking, the GPS is the things other people tell me about how to navigate my journey through life. Their advice may be extremely reliable, especially if their wisdom is grounded in the Word and prayer. But true guidance comes when I devote myself to meditating on how the Word applies to my experiences, both my failures and my successes.


No comments:

Post a Comment