Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Psalm 119:79 Magnetic Faith

May those who fear you turn to me,
those who understand your statutes
Psalm 119:79

Do people who fear God turn to me? Do those who understand His statutes understand me?

Magnetic faith comes from developing a heart after God's own heart.

David took advantage of his early life as a common shepherd to put down deep roots of faith. Instead of wishing he was somewhere else, doing something more exciting, he learned the value of working hard to care for God's creatures. Instead of succumbing to the rebellion of boredom, he spent those long, quiet hours in prayer and meditation, attuning his heart to God's. He learned to be driven by faith in the slow times, and to practice quick, unquestioning obedience in the dangerous times.

Lord, make me to lie down in your green pastures and teach me to be content to spend time aligning my heart with yours. 

David's years in the green pastures taught him patience. Even though the prophet Samuel had anointed him as the future king of Israel, David was content to continue watching over his flock of sheep. And then he patiently waited for God to win the battles against King Saul.

Father, teach me to wait. Give me eyes to see the opportunities you put in front of me, a willing heart to say yes, and the patience to wait for your divine appointments

By the time David faced Goliath, he had trained himself fir quick, unquestioning obedience. While others were frightened and hid from the giant, David immediately assumed his God was greater than any enemy. When Saul tried to load him down with the usual weapons and armor of warfare, David instead chose the unconventional approach of trusting in God's power alone.

Dear God, may I put my trust solely in you. Everyone advises me to put my trust in a financial nest egg, political leaders, and conventional wisdom. But I know your people will turn to me because they see my unconventional life of faith.

David was far from a perfect king. He succumbed to the hubris of his status, a penchant for using violence to maintain power, and the same debasing lusts as any common man. And yet he continually returned to his roots, crying out to God for forgiveness and guidance. That humility before God was a magnet to others who shared his reliance on the Lord.

Lord, may people see in me a genuine humility that relies not on my own greatness but on your great grace. 


No comments:

Post a Comment