Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Psalm 119:64 The Earth is Filled With Your Love

The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees.

Psalm 119:64
Is that true? The earth is filled with the Lord's love?

If so, then on any given day each of us should be able to list all the different ways we saw God's love.

Were you paying attention enough to do that? Was I?

At 6:00 this morning the alarm on my phone played the first low bars of Off the Ground, by The Record Company. I touched the button to silence the music and, on this morning (I'm writing this in mid-January), immediately opened the weather app.

What I saw did not energize me to roll out from under the blankets and joyfully join the day. Three degrees below zero.

And yet God, in His love, had given me another day of life. He had also granted my wife another day, evidenced by the wifely noises I heard in the house.

This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

During the drive to work through the frigid landscape I saw God's love for His creation. The faces of my fellow travelers all showed the same shiver-shocked expression. We were all traveling through the icy evidence that God is still putting the seasons through their paces, one after the other. And unlike the previous winter, this season was providing an extended deep freeze to deliver death's verdict on the allergy-producers around us.

While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease. Genesis 8:22

My day at work was colored with stress and unexpected distractions, more so than usual. It was also colored by an opportunity to warmly greet a new employee and offer patient assistance to a confused co-worker. God chose to fill my world with love by using me as the conduit of that love.

No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us. I John 4:12

God also dumped a cloud full of love on my head by sending a couple of links my way on the internet highway, first a tweet and then an e-mail bearing words to encourage and challenge me as a writer.

...for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. Philippians 2:13

God's love indeed fills the earth. To see it you only need to open your eyes.

It also helps to open your eyes to read and learn and know His decrees. Those teachings were given so we wouldn't have to wonder what message God was sending through His daily acts of love. He enlightens His scriptures through His acts of love, and He provides depth and breadth to His actions through His revealed Word.

Teach me, Lord, to see the many ways you fill my days with your presence and your love.






No comments:

Post a Comment