Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Psalm 119:53 Remember the Whole Law

Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.

Psalm 119:53
That Hebrew word translated as indignation also can refer to a burning fire.

It would seem David is so gripped by indignation it gives him heartburn. He's about to explode with blazing anger.

Have you ever felt that indignant about wicked people who have forsaken the law of God? I know I have.

Indignation grips me because of the hundreds of thousands of children whose lives have been terminated before they ever got a chance to walk the 1 road.

I'm often indignant at the callous use of the names of God and Jesus in everyday conversation. I'm even more indignant when those same words pop into my own mind.

My heart heats does a slow burn when I see people worshiping athletes, celebrities, politicians, and other human idols. I shake my head in disgust when my fellow Christians do the same.

My heart burns to see discord, dissension, factions, and vilification of opposing viewpoints become the norm in 21st century America. That heartburn bursts into a raging inferno when I see the 21st century American Church falling into the very same habits.

I'm indignant that so many Christians will get explosively worked up over the laws they see being ignored among the people of the world, while they remain comfortably selective in their follow-through on God's commandments to love your neighbor and love your your enemies.

I'm incensed when Christians ignore the laws against bearing false witness and gossiping, all in the pursuit of "spinning" the truth in favor of the "right" politician and against the "wrong" politician.

I'm also indignant when Christians choose to ignore clear biblical teachings about sins, under the pressure of modern culture and their personal experiences. I'm equally indignant when Christians choose to stand firm on those teachings about sin, but choose to ignore the clear scriptural teachings to lead with love, to win those people to Christ, to be reconcilers.

I also become indignant when people post lists of things about which they're indignant, as though the focus of the gospel is to build walls rather than breaking them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment