Friday, September 15, 2017

Psalm 119:14 Pure Obedience Produces Pure Joy



Right actions produce right feelings.
That's a quote from . . . well, several of my mentors have said the same thing in slightly different versions. I heard both Wayne Kessler and Roy Weece repeat it frequently.

Jay Adams said something similar in his 1970 book, Competent to Counsel:
One very important passage is found in Genesis 4:3-7. When God rejected Cain's offering . . . Cain became angry and upset "and his face fell" (vs. 5). God then rhetorically asked Cain, "Why are you depressed?" and pointed the way toward overcoming it: "If you do right, will it [your face] not be lifted up?" Here, God sets forth the important principle that behavior determines feelings. 
There are other scriptures that teach the same idea, including Psalm 34:12-13 and I Peter 3:10-11.

I can remember the first time I heard this biblical principle in a counseling class taught by Mr. Kessler at Central Christian College of the Bible. It rocked me back on my heels. Blew my mind. Opened my eyes. Filled me with metaphors.

Ever since then, I've been doing my best to put this statute of God into practice.

It tells me what to do when I'm depressed or down-hearted. Get busy doing what God wants me to do!

It instructs me in counseling others who come to me brimming over with their negative emotions. Don't get the cart before the horse: Focus on their actions rather than on the feelings.

It gives me a swift kick in the gumption whenever I just don't "feel like" doing what I ought to be doing. Do it anyway! God doesn't tell us to feel like obeying, he just tells us to obey.

This one teaching of God has transformed my life. It has blessed me over and over again through the years.

David spoke of this same idea in Psalm 119:14.
I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.
Follow the statutes and joy will be the result. Obedience first, then the feelings.

I chuckled when I realized the one act of obedience to a statute that has brought me the greatest joy is the very statute that promises I'll rejoice as a result of obeying God's statutes.

Give it a try. You'll be amazed at the number of concrete ways this simple statute applies to your life.

“Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!”

― Bob Marley

No comments:

Post a Comment