Monday, July 31, 2017

1 Road Traveled

I shall be telling this with a sigh
  Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
  I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

from The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost

With apologies to Robert Frost, the journey isn’t about taking the road less traveled.

My road was laid out before I was born. I was fearfully and wonderfully made, and God had a plan for me. He already had the road laid out ahead of me.

He laid out a road for you, too. He sets everyone on a road. Even those who don't know Him. Or don't want to admit they know he’s there.

The thing is, there is only one road. One course set out for our lives. It's the same course for all of us.

It's in our DNA. It's in the “image of God DNA” that he breathed into Adam and breathes into each of us when we are born. We were made for a purpose and set out on a journey, just as a car is designed to drive down a road.

My own journey on the 1 Road began before I even knew it was a journey. For years, though, I thought my God-designed road was a place, and I thought I was already there.

This blog is my own road trip diary, with a few stories about the experiences of other people I’ve met along the road.

One of those people is David, who wrote Psalm 119 as his road trip diary. I’ve learned a lot from his story that has helped me in my travels.

You may be asking yourself: So what is the destination? Where does the one road go?

David will tell us that toward the end of his long road trip diary. But we can flip a couple of pages over and take a peek now, so we know where we’re headed.

Let me live that I may praise you, and may your laws sustain me.

Psalm 119:175

What is certain is that it is a long way, and from either end it is not easy.

Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment