Thursday, January 8, 2015

Last Night: The Holy Mentor


Roy Weece tapped me on the shoulder one day and asked me to help with the Christian Campus House prison ministry.

I had no clue what I was getting into or what it would require, but for two years, I had Roy alongside me. I followed his example, I listened to his advice, and I had countless conversations with him during those trips to and from the prison, as I've written about in Mondays With Roy:
He welcomed questions from the prisoners, a practice that always held the possibility of truly off-the-wall and unexpected topics. His replies were always aimed less at serving up a specific theological answer than providing some sort of teaching (related in some way to the topic) that would be of most use in discipling the prisoners. But first he would look to the rest of us on the ministry team and ask if one of us wanted to take the question.
It was great having an experienced and godly mentor with us. It often made me think of how fantastic it must have been for the twelve disciples to be with Jesus every day, to have his continual guidance as they went about their mission.

But just as Roy left CCH and then left this world, Jesus left the disciples behind when he left this world.

On their last night together he gave them - and us - some great news:
But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. John 14:26
Many people talk about receiving the Holy Spirit as though they just set up a play date with a really cool new friend.

Jesus talks about the Holy Spirit as someone sent to do a job.

Item number one on the job description: The Holy Spirit is our advocate. The disciples would have understood the Greek word parakletos as not just an advocate but a comforter, counselor, guide. In short, he was to be a mentor, as Jesus had been.

Except this mentor would not only travel with them but would be inside them. There would be no solo mission trips. There would be no sad farewells.

Best of all, it wasn't just going to be Jesus and the Twelve road tripping around Galilee and Judea. The Holy Spirit mentor would be available to everyone who accepts Jesus as Savior, throughout the centuries to come.

There are Monday nights when I look at the chair in the back corner of the prison chapel and sorely miss seeing Roy there.

But every Monday night I'm aware of the very real guidance of the Holy Spirit, a mentor who is always with me. He comforts and encourages me. He keeps me on mission and reminds me of the things boy Jesus and Roy have taught me, and of what I need to be teaching His lost sheep in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment