Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Psalm 119:1-3 Picture Perfect


Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the LORD. Blessed are those who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart — 
they do no wrong but follow his ways.

Psalm 119:1-3 Aleph

Do you know anyone who fits the description in those verses?

I've found it easy in my life to look at other Christians and believe they're the next best thing to perfect. They seem to have it all together. No spiritual valleys. No hidden sins.

The thing is, the closer I get in my relationship with those people, the more I see the chinks in the armor, the weaknesses. And they see mine.

The two most "spiritually together" mentors in my life were Wayne Kessler and Roy Weece. I learned so much from both of them about how to live a focused life for Christ.

And I also learned from both of them that no one is perfect. As I got to know them not just as mentors but as friends, I saw the sins that so easily beset them. Turns out, their flaws taught me as much as their faith did, because it enabled me to see through them to Christ, whose grace upheld them.

While it's good to have people we can imitate, people to learn from, we shouldn't delude ourselves into putting them up on a pedestal of perfection. When they fail - and they will - what happens to our faith?

It's much better to see them wholly, for who they really are. Their way of dealing with their sins and imperfections can teach as as much as their shining virtues. And when they fail - and they will - we can learn how to fail in our own lives without letting failure be what defines us.

No comments:

Post a Comment